Ever try to mow the lawn with a push mower? It’s not fun, especially on overgrown, hilly terrain.
Fortunately, we’ve had power mowers for decades and they’ve changed the way we care for our landscaping, making it easier and less time-consuming.
The same can be said for online marketing. Why work harder than you have to? The landscape of online marketing is often a challenging terrain, as well. Your audience is constantly interrupted by marketing messages, most of which they ignore. As a small business owner, you face the challenge of navigating new technologies and methods for effectively promoting your message online. Fortunately, there are tools available to help you cut through the noise and achieve your online marketing goals. Do yourself a favor and work smarter, not harder.
Table of Contents
Building Relationships is Key
Over the past year, we’ve helped many small to mid-size businesses expand their online reach. One thing we have noticed when comparing all of our clients is that those that are building relationships with their customers are experiencing the most growth.
There are a few key elements that work together to make this happen. It boils down to staying in contact with their customers and providing solutions to their needs. In essence, they become a trusted resource.
Your website visitors aren’t always ready to make a purchase or schedule an appointment the first time they find you online. That’s why it’s important to maintain consistent communication with them and to give them a reason to come back to you.
Automated email marketing is the answer.
Email marketing helps develop relationships. You may think of email as an annoyance that fills up your inbox or spam folder. But the truth is that people do respond to promotional emails as long as they have given permission to be contacted. If they subscribe to your blog, fill out a contact form, or request more information, they are giving you permission to contact them. They want to hear what’s new, receive special offers, and read blog articles that answer their questions.
Surprisingly, many small businesses do not use email marketing.
Email marketing solutions don’t have to be complicated. What typically holds a small business back from implementing an email marketing program is the investment it will take to implement it, the time it will take to set it up, and the knowledge and skills to keep it going.
Because of their limited financial and human resources, small businesses must work smarter, not harder. That’s why marketing automation, which includes email marketing, makes sense for small businesses. Once marketing automation is set up, it’s fairly simple to maintain. Compared to tv, radio, and direct mail, it’s an affordable marketing solution that allows you to reach the right audience at the right time.
Why Email Marketing Works
- People like to do business with those they know, like and trust. Email helps you build relationships and credibility.
- Email keeps you top of mind with your prospective customers. It gives you a consistent way to communicate with your customers, repeatedly bringing them back to your business.
- Two-thirds of emails are opened on a mobile device, giving you a way to take advantage of the growing mobile trend.
- You get a big bang for your marketing buck. You can reach your entire contact list easily or segment your list for targeted messages.
- Email increases visitors to your website. Email marketing and SEO work hand in hand.
- It generates leads and nurtures them until they are ready to purchase or schedule an appointment.
- Email lets you start a conversation with your prospective customers. It gives them a way to easily contact you with their questions.
- It promotes your business and builds brand awareness. Your customers may share your message with their network, spreading your reach even further.
- It’s cost-effective. Email automation technology has brought the price of email solutions down to a level that every small business can afford.
- The data it provides is valuable in determining what type of messaging and promotional communications yield the highest ROI.
The Numbers Don’t Lie
Still not convinced that email marketing and automation are right for your small business? Take a look at a few statistics that show the value of email marketing and how small businesses are using it successfully. Research shows these benefits of email marketing:
- 91% of US adults like to receive promotional emails from companies they do business with. (Source: Marketing Sherpa)
- Email is 40% more effective than Facebook and Twitter combined in helping businesses acquire new customers. (Source: Campaign Monitor)
- 24% of visitors from email marketing buy something as compared to 2.49% of visitors from search engines and 0.59% from social media.(Source: Monetate)
- In a 2016 study, automated email messages averaged 50.4% higher open rates and 106.3% higher click-through rates than “business as usual” marketing messages. (Source: Epsilon Data Management)
- For every $1 spent, email generates $38 in ROI. (Source: Campaign Monitor)
Related Article: Email is Still a Powerful Marketing Tool
As a small business owner, you may be wondering how to best utilize email marketing. An infographic from Instiller shows how email marketing can wow your customers by using personalization and targeting the right buyers. Automated emails take the buyer cycle a step further by providing after-purchase support and giving your customers a reason to come back to you or refer your business to their friends.
Want to Learn More About Email Marketing?
If your small business is still on the fence about using marketing automation and email marketing, we’re here to help. We can answer your questions and see if email marketing is right for you. Ready to take your online marketing to the next level? Let us help you connect with your customers in a more human way with personalized email automation.